Job Summary: The Clinical Educator II (CE) performs educational activities that validate, develop, maintain and enhance skills and competencies relative to patient care. The CE is responsible for developing and implementing AHS Onboarding and Orientation Program, Annual Education Program, Continuing Education (CE) Courses, staff competency validation, and any ongoing educational in-services. The CE is also a resource for developing orientation and annual staff education for all levels of nursing personnel and non-nursing personnel and providing input into the development/revision of evidence-based policies and procedures. The CE must work effectively as a team member and must use good interpersonal skills in all contact with patients, staff and physicians. The CE works collaboratively with organizational leaders across departments in assessing, planning and implementing needs assessment, educational program, and staff competency validation for all levels of nursing personnel and non-nursing personnel as indicated for professional development and regulatory compliance.
DUTIES & ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS: NOTE: The following are the duties performed by employees in this classification, however, employees may perform other related duties at an equivalent level. Not all duties listed are necessarily performed by each individual in the classification.
1. Accurately maintains education files, including orientation program, annual skills competencies, LMS records and any other competencies. Pulls requested employee education files as needed for managers and/or any regulatory agencies.
2. Assists AHS leadership team during regulatory hospital surveys with multiple requests by the surveyors. Collaborates with AHS leadership team to develop a corrective action plan for any regulatory surveys. Collaborates with AHS leadership team to evaluate and complete the Periodic Performance Review (PPR) as required by the Joint Commission.
3. Assists in organizing and presenting to the staff educational in-services on an ongoing basis on new equipment, new organizational initiatives, policies, procedures, regulatory updates and requirements and any other educational needs as requested by management and/or staff. Collaborates with the Director of Clinical Education in developing educational programs based on quality process improvement needs.
4. Develops monthly and annual education calendar based on identified educational needs. Acts as a resource person to AHS staff for any equipment, policy or procedure related issues. Provides hands-on training / assistance to staff and/or coordinates vendor in-services as needed to promote better learning / understanding. Maintains and/or updates Education Intranet page to notify staff about any educational opportunities in the Bay area.
5. Collects and assesses data and information related to education needs and other pertinent situations, including identification of trends, issues and supporting data to determine a comprehensive education program for assigned units/clinics including classroom, clinical experiences and learning technologies.
6. Develops competency-based hospital orientation program for all AHS staff and assists in organizing the department of hire orientation. Assesses and revises competencies as needed to meet regulatory obligations. When necessary, collaborates with AHS Human Resources Department and departmental managers in coordinating AHS new hire onboarding, orientation, execution of organizational initiatives, and educational programs.
7. Develops curricula that is reflective of evidence-based practice and uses the appropriate methods of teaching to accommodate learning styles and different learning environments.
8. Evaluates outcomes of the educational programs and utilizes findings for continued improvement; incorporates objective assessment of classroom and clinical performance into evidence-based evaluation framework; applies measurement instruments and statistical analysis, seeking consultation when needed.
9. Fosters achievement of goals and objectives.
10. Identifies factors that affect staff's ability to fulfill their job responsibilities, collaborates with management to effect appropriate change in systems and sustainable desired outcomes.
11. Integrates relevant research outcomes into nursing professional development practice through effective learning activities and process improvement.
12. Organizes annual competency for all nursing.. Assesses and revises competencies as needed to meet regulatory obligations. Develops annual educational review courses with post-tests or other validation methods for all staff utilizing Elsevier Learning Management System (LMS) E-Learning system. Acts as the AHS LMS Administrator to develop and assign new courses to staff and keep track of staff's LMS completion status. Updates the staff and the managers on the completion status on a regular basis.
13. Participates in AHS committees and develops educational plan as needed for any issues that require further staff education. Assists nursing leadership with reviewing and revising AHS Policies and Procedure prior to final approval by Clinical Practice Council (CPC).
14. Participates in continuing education provider unit as a Nurse Planner; utilizes Board of Registered Nursing (BRN), The Joint Commission and CMS (Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services) criteria to assess needs, plan, implement and evaluate continuing nursing education activities.
15. Participates in quality performance improvement activities.
16. Participates in strategic planning, ad hoc projects and educational activities as assigned for the department.
17. Performs other duties as assigned.
18. Plans educational programming for new or changing programs of care; assists in development of evidenced-based clinical policies and procedures as requested.
19. Plans, develops, and evaluates the Nursing preceptor program to enhance the orientation process and the retention of staff; serves as a role model through educational programs and ongoing coaching and mentoring.
20. Serves as a liaison with colleges/universities for student integration and practicum within the clinical setting as needed.
Any combination of education and experience that would likely provide the required knowledge, skills and abilities as well as possession of any required licenses or certifications is qualifying.
Required Education: Graduate of an accredited school of Nursing; Bachelors of Science in Nursing .(BSN) Master's Degree in Nursing, Business, Public Health, Public Policy, and/or Education.
**For current AHS employees, Master's required within 2 years of assuming the position.**
Required Experience: Five (5) years of relevant nursing experience in an acute care setting, for external hires one (1) year of experience with orientation and education of nursing staff in clinical setting; experience in education program design and evaluation using adult learning principles.
Required Licenses/Certifications: Valid license to practice as a Registered Nurse in the State of California; & Basic Life Support (BLS) Certification issued by the American Heart Association