Chicago Public Schools (CPS) is the third largest school district in the United States, serving over 360,000 students in 600 schools and employing nearly 36,000 people, most of them teachers. CPS has set ambitious goals to ensure that every student, in every school and every neighborhood, has access to a world-class learning experience that prepares each for success in college, career and civic life. In order to fulfill this mission we make three commitments to our students, their families and all Chicagoans: academic progress, financial stability and integrity. Six core values are embedded within these commitments - student centered, whole child, equity, academic excellence, community partnership and continuous learning.
The Junior Reserve Officers' Training Corps (JROTC) Staffing Manager is the Human Resources liaison for the JROTC programs for all military branch commands. Reporting to the Deputy Director of Military Instruction, this position will handle the majority of JROTC teacher personnel issues, as well as other duties that may be required and assigned.
The JROTC Staffing Manager will be held accountable for the following responsibilities:
* Manages the administrative and personnel records for six various Military Academies, 33 traditional Army JROTC programs, three traditional Navy programs, two traditional Marine programs and one traditional Air Force program.
* Manages and continually reviews and monitors JROTC program staffing to achieve optimum manpower.
* Manages, analyzes and coordinates day-to-day administration and personnel issues of all JROTC teachers.
* Manages assignments/transfers of all JROTC teachers based on the needs of the JROTC program
* Manages and ensures JROTC teacher vacancies are advertised and coordinates the announcements of vacancies on the JROTC website.
* Manages and prepares annual employment renewal forms for JROTC teachers of all branches of the military services for the appropriate military higher headquarters.
* Manages instructor allocations, creates order of merit listings for attendance, scheduling, and coordinates travel approval for required courses or conferences.
* Manages, examines, and submits the cadet enrollment of the Department of JROTC units, which determines JROTC teacher authorizations, and recommends necessary adjustments.
* Reviews and submits all recurring reports to United States Army Cadet Command and Chicago Public Schools by established suspense dates.
* Interprets and assists with the implementation of new regulatory guidelines received from Chicago Public Schools and United States Army Cadet Command to JROTC teachers assigned to the schools.
* Manages and designs certificates/awards for JROTC teachers, staff and an infinite number of cadets assigned to the Department of JROTC.
* Monitors JROTC teachers to ensure weight compliance by measuring, and recording, updated information for all Army JROTC teacher
* Develops Ads for recruiting, interviewing, selection and processing of applicants for employment with the Department of JROTC.
* Prepares and submits to United States Army Cadet Command a consolidated list of JROTC Cadet Leadership Challenge (JCLC) attendees in a timely manner.
* Attends JROTC Cadet Leadership Challenge (Summer Camp) as the S1, Non Commissioned Officer In Charge (NCOIC).
* Collects bus rosters upon arrival to JCLC to build company rosters.
* Completes and updates JCLC instructor and cadet rosters daily. Completes bus rosters for cadets, instructors and chaperones.
* Prepares and submits CPS timesheets for all instructors attending JCLC.
* Creates Award certificates that were earned by cadets. Makes completion certificates for cadets and aid in the distribution.
* Submits After Action Review upon completion of JCLC. Submit payment request to Brigade and Cadet Command upon completion of JCLC.
* Processes, plans, and coordinates the administrative deployment, Army pay disbursement and daily personnel and administrative actions of JROTC teacher's for participation in JROTC Cadet Leadership Challenge (Summer Camp). attendance for training of over 700 cadets
* Prepares memorandums, policy guidance, and other correspondence as required by the Executive Director of Military Instruction.
* Provides training, guidance and assistance to Army units on the automated JROTC Cadet Information Management System (JCIMS).
* Manages updates and posts JROTC teacher information on JROTC Cadet Information Management System
* Provides guidance, leadership, and assistance to ensure proper administration and conduct of the JROTC programs are achieved.
* Conducts unit JROTC Program Assistance (JPA) visits of JROTC programs as scheduled.
* Notifies/coordinates local news media of Department of JROTC events for coverage.
* Plans, organizes and executes special projects as requested by the Executive Director of Military Instruction.
* Provides assistance in the updating of the Chicago JROTC website as necessary.
* Provides photo media coverage through photography, participates and assists in all citywide competitions, to include, Drill and Color Guard competition, and Sports Challenge competitions.
* Provides photo media coverage for events involving the city of Chicago such as the Memorial Day Parade and Veterans Day with JROTC cadets' participation.
* Assists with the training and leadership of Chicago Public Schools City Corps Staff as required.
* All other duties as assigned.
In order to be successful and achieve the above responsibilities, the JROTC Staffing Manager must possess the following qualifications:
Type of Education Required:
* Bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university
Type of Experience and Number of Years:
* A minimum of three (3) years of experience in a military unit administration position with Human Resources experience.
* Retired Army Non-Commissioned Officer or Warrant Officer with a minimum of 3 years of experience as a JROTC teacher.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
* Ability to work in a team setting with multiple contributors on projects.
* Ability to multi-task projects, people and events to get the job done.
* Proficient in a Windows environment.
* Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
* Ability to work independently and as a team member.
* Knowledge of JCIMS and JUMS (Army software)
This position receives a residency waiver.