Job title: Nursery Cook
Responsible to: Nursery Manager/Operations Manager
Responsible for: Food preparation
Purpose of the job: To prepare food/snacks as per the menus. To maintain high standards of hygiene and cleanliness of the kitchen.
- To manage the running of the kitchen on a day to day basis, preparing and cooking fresh food for snacks, lunch and tea, food ordering, maintaining equipment, carry out relevant checks.
- To implement the daily/ Monthly & Deep Cleaning routine of cleaning
- To implement the daily cooking of healthy and nutritious meals for the children.
- To be responsible for monitoring and registering appliance temperatures and maintaining the temperature charts.
- To assist the Cook/Manager with planning healthy and nutritious menus.
- To liaise with the/cook/staff/Manager members regarding children’s allergies, dietary requirements or preferences.
- To be flexible within the working practises e.g. preparations of snack/meals, washing up etc.
- To advise the Manager of any concerns e.g. over children, parents or the safety of equipment, preserving confidentiality as necessary.
- To ensure that children are kept safe and that you understand when to follow child protection procedures.
- To support meal times within the setting.
- To actively participate at team meetings, supervisor meetings and appraisal meetings.
- To keep completely confidential any information regarding the children, their families or other staff, which is required as part of the job.
- To work within the food hygiene standards and the relevant health and safety regulations.
- To be aware of and adhere to all the setting’s operational policies and procedures, e.g. health and safety, fire precautions, food safety, cleanliness of the setting etc.
- To ensure that adequate records are kept and updated regularly.
- To promote the nursery to current parents and potential customers.
- To undertake any other reasonable duties as directed by the Room Leader/Manager, in accordance with the setting’s business plan/objectives.
It is the nature of working in a nursery that tasks and responsibilities are on occasion unpredictable and varied, so to retain flexibility this job description is not an exhaustive list of duties and the post holder will be required to undertake any other reasonable duties discussed and directed by the Nursery Manager/Operations Manager.
- Relevant qualification in food safety/catering.
- Good communication skills.
- Commitment to equal opportunities.
- Current food hygiene certificate.
- Friendly and flexible approach at work which facilitates the development of effective relationships.
- Willingness to learn and to undertake further training.
- Some experience of working with young children.
- Current First Aid at Work qualification.
Terms and conditions
Hours: Dependant on Nursery needs
Salary range: Dependant on Qualifications and Experience
This post is not exempt from the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act (1974) and does require a Disclosure Barring Scheme check. Applicants must be prepared to disclose any convictions they may have and any orders which have been made against them.